Pushing Up Daisy

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Why I ride my bicycle

Pictured here is Saturday's second breakfast. We had a nice rain Friday night that made for a refreshingly cooler ride. Four of us left out and did the Potter Loop, stopped in at Abbott's for breakfast after 25 miles. It was a hard decision between the fried chicken they had just put up for lunch or breakfast, but once I saw they had county ham, it made the decision a no-brainer for me.

While we were eating, 2 big Bubbas came in and sat down to eat. Bubba # 1 had a plate with 2 biscuits, a jug of cane syrup and a quart of chocolate milk. Bubba #2 unwrapped some other kind of biscuit and drank a quart of whole milk. Both Bubbas went out and got into their respective jacked up pick up trucks. I was laughing to myself about their breakfast and I am sure they were lauging at my companions in spandex. But, they didn't try to run us over, so they were good ole boys indeed.

After devouring our breakfast and listening to Talks Too Much and Candy Salesman talk (Wooly Bully didn't opt to stop to eat, he said something about getting too fat), I though we were on the home stretch, an easy 5 miles or so back to the house.

That wasn't meant to be. Candy Salesman lives out towards 8 Mile Road, so Talks Too Much suggested riding down Leary Rd. to 8 Mile, then in on Gillionville. Figured that would be ok and help burn up some calories. None of the three guys that morning were into being out front, every time I pulled off the front, the speed would drop to 12-15 mph. So after pulling their slack selves for the first 25 miles, I resolve myself to being out front and lead them all out Leary Road.

Next thing I know, I see a lil snake traveling across the road in front of me, heading towards the ditch. The only thing I could do to avoid running him over was to sweve into the traffic lane, so I opted to ride over him. I let out a good squeal and said a silent prayer that he was a tiny black snake, not one of those big jokers or alligators that you are prone to see out there in the Kountry. We all had a good laugh about the snake going home with a pain in his ass after I ran him over.

45 miles means you can eat be a homemade biscuit eater and not feel guilty.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:43 PM, Blogger pedalista said…

    We have a Talks To Much down here also. He is a good strong rider, BUT he wont shut up, he cannot hold a consistent speed on the front, he avoids pulls, and he is a little twitchy. I know it is bad when I start moving around the pack to get away from his annoying voice. GRRRRRR. Maybe I could send our Talks to Much up there and they will talk eachother to death?

     
  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger Megan: Dyer, Spinner and Weaver said…

    Holy crap, that looks good. I need to get well so I can get back on the bike.

     
  • At 1:09 PM, Blogger pedalista said…

    I made the mistake of looking at this earlier this morning after I missed breakfast and was getting a little peckish. Not a good thing to do. There are dents in my computer screen from me trying to grab the biscuit.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home