Pushing Up Daisy

Friday, December 08, 2006

4355

Its the end of the year. Time to look at numbers.

We look at numbers every day at work to track our percentages and how business compares to years' past. Earlier this week, Clark provided me with a year to date customer sales report so I could get our corporate Christmas gifts ordered. At a touch of a button, he was able to tell me who was naughty and who was nice. There were several customers that were really nice this past year, as well as some new and refreshed accounts. Good numbers there, higher then last year, and looks to be the 3rd best year in the company's history.

My number on the scale isn't where I'd like it to be, but I am a work in progress. I don't stress the number after being a WW for 6 years this upcoming Janurary. I am focusing on healthy choices and less on the number. That being said, if the number were lower, I'd like it. But, its a number, not my life. That number is right in line with last year, not much change at all.

This is the time of the year I also tally up my bicycle mileage and exercise hours. I haven't done that yet, but I will. I do know it will be less then last year's number, but that's okay too. I know once the cabin is completed, my bicycle mileage will increase and I will get back to working on my core fitness through yoga and strength training.

There is one number I learned about last night that really had me tossing and turning last night. That number, 4355, is the number of animals that were euthanised this past year at the Albany Humane Society. A 10 percent increase from last year. Every year, they have a Christmas open house and encourage the public to come out and bring something to put under the tree for the animals and to buy some ornaments to help finance their operation.

During the open house, they light a tree in front of the shelter that has one light for every animal that they had to euthanize. The new shelter manager is a young woman who got quite choked up after Donna introduced her. She told of one day when 50 dogs came into an already full shelter, so she and the staff had to free their souls.

There was a man who is a long time friend of the humane society that said some moving words about that. He said that the employees there were the gatekeepers and they helped all those poor negelected and unwanted souls to be free.

Still tough to swallow that number, 4355.

Amongst the crowded kennels is an 8 month old Brittany Spaniel, a stray they dubbed Baxter. Adorable with pleading Brittany eyes but a fireball of energy. He won't be coming to our house, but there is hope for him. There is also hope for 2 english springer spaniels out there. Pure bred dogs can be placed thru breed rescue, but the others, the ones with a little dab of this and a little dab of that. Who will help them? Unfortunately, it might be the gatekeepers.

As I covered Ri up in her big bed in our bedroom last night with a fleece blanket, I thought of Baxter and all the other dogs sleeping on the concrete floor of the kennel. This morning, I washed some blankets and will take one by for him today. It is the time of the year to think of others and our dogs have plenty of blankets.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What absolutely kills me are the droves of idiots who buy "designer breed" puppies (because who wants an OLD dog?) like Yorkie-Poos or Labradoodles or Goldendoodles. I even saw an ad for something called an Iggypop, god knows what that was. Yet all the "mutts" at the shelter get sent to death row because they aren't a "real" breed.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home