Pushing Up Daisy

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Enough negativity already

I had a member join 3 weeks ago who is a retired school teacher, 32 years of service. She came to WW because her doctor recommended it, she has blood pressure problems and diabetes. I took a very long time explaining the program to her the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and told her everything was in the week one book, go home, read it and follow the plan.

She came back next week, late. She came in late again last night and after the meeting, went to the receptionist and told her she was having problems, so she was referred back to me in the meeting room.

When I asked her what she was having problems with, she told me she didn't know how to count foods when she went out to eat. Since she chose not to invest in the Dining Out book, I to reminded her of the glossary in the back of her book. She wasn't happy to know she'd have to take the book with her.

Then, she spied the empty product boxes that other members and employees brought in. I personally don't bring in other products besides the WW licensed products and I don't refer to them in the meeting. She told me she wanted to know about those foods and I told her she was free to look thru them before or after the meeting, but the grocery store products weren't the topic, every week we have a topic and this week's was eating healthfully when you're busy.

I also suggested she go to ww.com and read the message boards, there were plenty of people who posted their foods there, as well as lots of tips and menus and recipes.

She said she didn't have time and I certainly don't understand why she doesn't have time. She's retired. What else is she doing? She was quite proud that she was computer literate when she joined, why not get on there and use it? Turn the tv off and do something to help your health.

Still griping, she wanted to know specific foods to eat, and I told her, well, if you want a food list, read up on the Core plan, it tells you what foods to eat without tracking. Nope, she wanted the other program, with the points.

Also, she told me that she hadn't been eating vegetables and after her saying she liked vegetables like turnips and collards, I told her they were healthy unless you put the fat in. She wanted to know how to make them taste good and I told her about Goya. WELL, she has problems with her pressure, and its too much salt.

I finally told her, the program will work when you are ready for it to work. But YOU have to do the work, no one will do it for you. YOU have to decide you are willing to make changes. She had some other negative thing to say and I said, after being a teacher for 32 years, you have the ability to read this book and help yourself, but if you won't help yourself, no one can.

She left in a huff. Wonder if she'll come back. I hope if she doesn't, she cancels her montly pass, because WW is getting her money if she comes or not with that option.

I can't do anything for someone like that. I wonder how many school kids were affected by her negative attitude. I know its hard to change, but don't pretend you are trying to change when all you're doing is making someone else miserable. That somebody being ME!!

1 Comments:

  • At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a PITA! Don't you love people who have a negative response to everything? And yes, reassuring she was responsible for influencing kids all those years. Yikes.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home