The Frugal Gourmet
So many times in my meetings, I hear members talk about how its more expensive to eat healthfully. This past month, I have busted that myth.
I bought some chicken leg quarters at the beginning of the month for 2.99 with the intention of stewing them for a cornbread chicken vegetable pie. Well, it made a LOT of meat, more then was necessary for that recipe, so I froze the leftover meat and all the stock it made. It was really fine meat and stock, I was quite pleased with our efforts.
Sunday I didn't feel like going to the grocery store for lunch supplies after getting home from Atlanta, so I thawed out the stock, a rouge chicken breast I found in the freezer & put in a partial bag of frozen veggies and some egg noodles to make a good soup for the week.
Last night while shopping, Clark remembered there was stewed chicken in the freezer, so with that and some frozen bell peppers & onions and some fajita seasoning, we had an excellent fast meal of fajitas and black beans (those are always in the pantry). It was better then any Mexican restaurant food we have had.
I think the healthy foods that are expensive are the convience foods. Chips, crackers, low fat snacks, snack bars. Processed foods. When you buy foods that are in season and shop the outer edges of the grocery store, you are not going to be paying more for groceries.
Healthy food is expensive? Myth BUSTED!!
I bought some chicken leg quarters at the beginning of the month for 2.99 with the intention of stewing them for a cornbread chicken vegetable pie. Well, it made a LOT of meat, more then was necessary for that recipe, so I froze the leftover meat and all the stock it made. It was really fine meat and stock, I was quite pleased with our efforts.
Sunday I didn't feel like going to the grocery store for lunch supplies after getting home from Atlanta, so I thawed out the stock, a rouge chicken breast I found in the freezer & put in a partial bag of frozen veggies and some egg noodles to make a good soup for the week.
Last night while shopping, Clark remembered there was stewed chicken in the freezer, so with that and some frozen bell peppers & onions and some fajita seasoning, we had an excellent fast meal of fajitas and black beans (those are always in the pantry). It was better then any Mexican restaurant food we have had.
I think the healthy foods that are expensive are the convience foods. Chips, crackers, low fat snacks, snack bars. Processed foods. When you buy foods that are in season and shop the outer edges of the grocery store, you are not going to be paying more for groceries.
Healthy food is expensive? Myth BUSTED!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home