Pushing Up Daisy

Friday, April 20, 2007

Old, Fat & Slow

That's how I felt last night after getting blown out of the 27 mph paceline that the E-Train was pulling.

Riding thru the hood on the way to the shop, I told SuperMan I felt like I had lead in my legs. This after having a CowTale & a SF Red Bull. He said my wings would kick in before long.

Thursday is always a fast ride and I felt like I was well-prepared. I was rested, had a good carb buildup, not hungover, no reason to think I couldn't hang in there for most of the ride. Riding out I discussed strategies with another rider, don't get behind the Dentist, look out for that skinny guy on the red bike, he doesn't shift gears right, etc. etc.

The wind was surprising on the way out and that was the death of me once I was off the back. I rode 10 mph for a while by myself and was glad to see Wooly ride up behind me. He told me it was his fourth day in a row of riding, and WTF was wrong with the group, blowing peep up like that. I was secretly thinking, good, he's a big guy, I can get some relief from the wind and draft him. Thing was, he just rode by my side and talked, so we rode slow together and I was hating life.

We finally got to the stoplight at the highway and I see SuperMan & the Blue Falcon waiting for me. SuperMan was worried something had happened to me, plus he had blown his wad early on riding with DreamWeaver. We rode slow down Winifred, then they started picking it up. It felt good for a bit to push 19-20 mph, but then I felt the lead creeping back into my legs. After I dropped yet again, I knew I was cooked. Told SuperMan I needed to cut it short and head back thru the hood again. He was ever so kind, as always and even offered to get the team car if I needed it. Of COURSE I refused, you can't get the team car unless you are injured or have a mechanical. If its just a bonk, you gotta ride it out. Those are the rules.

I was glad to see Joe peeking out the window looking for me. SuperMan held off the Black Bitch so I could safely get in the house. As I start wheeling my bike down the hallway, I felt really weak because it was hard to roll the IF down the hall. I happen to glance down at the front wheel and notice my brake was rubbing on the wheel!!!

Bonk or no bonk, I am blaming my poor performance on the mechnical. Me and Lance are now kindered spirits. All I have to say is, remember how Lance performed on the ride AFTER he had his wheel rubbing!!

2 Comments:

  • At 12:54 PM, Blogger pedalista said…

    I think Scully nosed the brake over on you when you were not looking. BAD SCULLY! Get CSI to nose print the bike and see who was messing with it.

     
  • At 2:12 PM, Blogger Clark said…

    At least she didn't outright blame the team mechanic. I DID adjust the front brake when I was airing up the tires, it was rubbing then. I adjusted the calipers to where it was free rolling, but I am thinking that it bears a little more in-depth inspection before our next ride. I might need to snug up that bolt that holds it to the fork.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home