Book Sale

Saturday morning I went to the largest book sale I have ever been to.
The Doughtery County Library hosted the sale at the site of the old Rhodes Furniture on Dawson Road. I got there about 15 mintues after the sale started and was amazed to see the parking lot of that big building overflowing. After driving thru the parking lot and finding nowhere to park, I went & parked the new car safely next door at K-Mart and walked over.
I was amazed at the number of people there to buy books! Sure, they were cheap, but I didn't realize so many people actually still READ!! The sale was very well organized and I came away with some books I had been wanting to include Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential that I almost bought last year before vacation. Also found some old Frugal Gourmet cookbooks.
I sure miss the Frug. I don't honestly believe all the nasty rumors about him. He seemed to be such a good guy, intelligent, educated and had such a unique way of presenting recipes and ideas about cooking that he made you want to try things you might not ever think about. He had a chapter in one of the books on Healthy Eating and it was such good, common-sense advice. The advice I especially liked was "Drink Wine with Dinner", it aids in digestion but do drink it in moderation.
Jeff Smith passed away in his sleep in 2004 at age 65 of heart failure. I bid you peace, Frug.

1 Comments:
At 4:03 PM,
Betsy said…
Book sales can be crazy. The one at the Detroit Public Library is this weekend. This is a better deal for people like me who can't remember to take things back before their due dates.
Post a Comment
<< Home