Pushing Up Daisy

Friday, April 13, 2007

The Ultimate Test Drive

Yesterday after work we participated in The Ultimate Test Drive, a benefit BMW and other corporations do together to raise money for the Susan G. Koman Breast Cancer fund. For every mile the special fleet of cars are driven, the sponsors donate money to the fund to find a cure.

We drove our new convertible to the dealership with the top down, and it was nice to see that the car exactly like ours that wasn't for sale when we wanted to buy it, was still on their lot.

We were registered to drive the 650ci and waited for the previous driver to hang up his cell phone and exit the vehicle. When we got in the car, it smelled distinctly of cigarette smoke! I asked the girl about it and she stuck her head in and took a wiff. There were ashes on the console of this ultimate driving machine, a car that starts at $74,700. She was not very pleased. She was very professional and showed us the map of the route we were to follow. She told us if something were to happen to us and the car on the route, we were covered, but if we deviated from the route and had a problem, well, don't deviate from the route!

After riding in the car that smelled like an ashtray, we decided we liked my car much better. This car had a huge sunroof, but it just popped up, did not slide back, there was only one cup holder, it had black interior, I-Drive and assisted steering. Its nice to get confirmation that we bought the right car.

We get back to the BMW lot and walked around and looked at the other vehicles in the fleet. We were there when a local came pulling back up in the Z4 with the top down. He was also on his cell phone. He also had a baby in a car seat on the front seat of the Z!!! I couldn't believe that, nor could the man who was working the event. His comments to the man included "Where did you go?" and "You don't have your own car to do that in?" and "Do you know how dangerous it is to have a baby in the front seat and in OUR car???". As the driver walked away from the car, pulling at his baggy shorts and mumbling, we just stood there watching.

I am sure that when the workers got together that night for dinner, they talked about what stoopid people turned out for their event in Albany. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't come back to Albany again based on just those 2 things happening!!

5 Comments:

  • At 4:21 PM, Blogger pedalista said…

    Nothing worse than cigarette smoke in the fancy car you dont even own. I would pass along the joke Andrew (Mr 2 BMW in his garage) told me, but it is mixed company here. You think maybe these two dopes are compensating for small brains by driving a BMW that is probably smarter than they are with all the technology in them today? When I become president, we will have dope sticks, kind of like the plastic thunder sticks they have at sporting events now. Every time you spot a dope doing somethign dopey you get one free swat with your Thunder Dope stick. That will be my whole campaign me with my dope stick. I will win in a landslide. Vote for Fred and you can whack a dope....

     
  • At 5:21 PM, Blogger Betsy said…

    People got some nerve! I can't believe someone would smoke in a car that isn't their own. Where is the taser when ya need it?

    The big boss where I work just got the 325i hardtop convertible. We worker bees were ooohing and ahhhing over it in the parking lot after lunch today.

     
  • At 9:10 PM, Blogger Len said…

    Don't the BMW people issue instructions before giving out their cars? Someone had to see that fool strapping hos kid into the front seat of the Z4.

    Fred, I will vote for you.

     
  • At 9:26 AM, Blogger pedalista said…

    BMW story of the day. When I drive in to work, the last 1/2 mile of road runs parallel to the Sebring race track. There is only a chain link fence seperating the track and the road. This morning there is a sports car group out renting to track to run around on. I saw them out, so when I got to the parallel section I floored it and passed a BMW that was on the track (he wasnt really going that fast), but he did a comical double take when he looked over and saw a big black F-150 pickup going by on the street next to him. I am easily amused sometimes.

     
  • At 11:05 AM, Blogger Suzy Neal said…

    Len, the baby wasn't in the car at the beginning of the test drive. The dude left the course and made a pickup of the kid somewhere along the way!

    I too will vote for Fred. It would be good to have somebody in office that is for whacking all the dopes around this country.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home