Happy New Year!
Well, with the new year, I discover a taste for a new, zero point veggie!!
Hooray for me!
Are you sitting down??
COLLARD GREENS!!!!
New Year's night, we ate dinner with Clark's sis and his family to have Christmas part deux, since they were down at Disney at Christmas. I had made a double batch of black eyed peas, as this had brought us good luck in 2005. Had boiled off smoked turkey wings, skimmed all the nasty fat off the cooled broth, and cooked them in it all day. UMMMMM.....
We took those, not knowing they had cooked some too (Mine were better)... Anyway, there was also a pot of mystery greens on the stove. They weren't all grossy and slimy looking like the ones you usually see, so I try them. And I like them!!! They were cooked with lean country ham and didn't have a bunch of liquid in them...
Monday after spin class, I stopped off at my neighborhood grocery to buy collards to cook myself, since I had got some cooking tips from the Neal family the night before.
Harveys had them already cleaned and chopped, so it made prep time non-existant. Cut the bag open, look thru for a few big chunks of stem (Joe, Ri and Bonnie ate those raw) and cook.
I did mine with some olive oil, salt and pepper. After doing some reading online, I think my next move with greens will be to saute onion in olive oil and garlic, chop up some chipotle pepper for the smokey taste.
I gave myself a bravo in my WW meeting for trying and LIKING a new veggie last night and the room went crazy -- the members couldn't believe I had never tried greens before!
Hooray for me!
Are you sitting down??
COLLARD GREENS!!!!
New Year's night, we ate dinner with Clark's sis and his family to have Christmas part deux, since they were down at Disney at Christmas. I had made a double batch of black eyed peas, as this had brought us good luck in 2005. Had boiled off smoked turkey wings, skimmed all the nasty fat off the cooled broth, and cooked them in it all day. UMMMMM.....
We took those, not knowing they had cooked some too (Mine were better)... Anyway, there was also a pot of mystery greens on the stove. They weren't all grossy and slimy looking like the ones you usually see, so I try them. And I like them!!! They were cooked with lean country ham and didn't have a bunch of liquid in them...
Monday after spin class, I stopped off at my neighborhood grocery to buy collards to cook myself, since I had got some cooking tips from the Neal family the night before.
Harveys had them already cleaned and chopped, so it made prep time non-existant. Cut the bag open, look thru for a few big chunks of stem (Joe, Ri and Bonnie ate those raw) and cook.
I did mine with some olive oil, salt and pepper. After doing some reading online, I think my next move with greens will be to saute onion in olive oil and garlic, chop up some chipotle pepper for the smokey taste.
I gave myself a bravo in my WW meeting for trying and LIKING a new veggie last night and the room went crazy -- the members couldn't believe I had never tried greens before!

1 Comments:
At 11:26 PM,
Megan: Dyer, Spinner and Weaver said…
Sounds yummy! I can't believe you never like collards! Wow! What kind of Georgian are you? Me? I even ate them in Michigan -- when I found them at the Ypsi Meijer!
Post a Comment
<< Home