Pushing Up Daisy

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Chinese Redemption

Sweet Grass Dairy in Thomasville held their dairy days festival a few Saturdays ago. There were more people there then needed to be, so we didn't taste a bit of cheese. We did have a tour of the cheese making area, and hear the history of the dairy from the owners, Jessica and Jeremey.

Jeremey raved about one of their cheeses and said it was sold out, but he was making more the following week. The cheese is called Sweet Rylee, and all proceeds from the sale of it will go to a fund for a little girl name Rylee who is losing her sight and needs an operation. I about fell out of my chair when I read she would go to China for the surgery!

China, my enemy! Going to help a lil 6 year old girl?!?! Could it BE? Maybe China is like the Dr. Suess character the Grinch, when "the Grinch's small heart grew 3 sizes that day."

After looking at Rylee's website, http://www.blessherwithsight.com/,
I had to re-think my postion with the Chinese. Maybe they aren't our enemy. Maybe its really our government's fault for allowing foreign industries to come in and shut down our factories. I know there's nothing I can do to help with the declining industries in the US except buy American made goods whenever possible.

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the UPS man with my Sweet Rylee cheese today. Supporting a south Georgia family business, helping a Florida child get surgery in China. That's a lot of global impact for the 7 bucks the cheese costs!

4 Comments:

  • At 1:59 AM, Blogger Len said…

    While it is a good idea to help this kid who is going blind I do not think it is a good idea to send her to China for this treatment. It smells of quackery.

    Because of the way we pay for healthcare in the US it is very lucrative to sell healthcare here. If something is promising it is studied here for eventual sale and profit here. But it is hard to sell something here because we have a strong regulatory system that does a good job ensuring that products really do work. And we care whether or not people will be hurt in clinical studies so we regulate them too.

    China, on the other hand, has a regulatory system that has not proven itself very reliable recently. Clinical studies and treatments may not be as well monitored and proven. I looked for a scientific basis for the proposed treatment and couldn't find any. I also couldn't find any information about clinical trials using umbilical cord blood to regrow anything other than blood cells from the NIH or FDA.

    Eat the cheese, but don't cancel the war.

     
  • At 3:40 PM, Blogger Betsy said…

    Unfortunately Americans (especially our government) are more concerned with embryos than dying people, so stem cell research here isn't moving very fast.

    I agree that China's regulatory system is probably a bit skewed, but if I were the parent of a child with a debilitating disease that US doctors had no solution for, I would probably be looking for answers elsewhere, too.

     
  • At 1:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Sometimes it is appropriate to re-evaluate our views. Things change or were not what they seemed to begin with.

    len, medical tourism is a rising business. Just because we don't do it here doesn't mean it's not a good thing. It may just mean that there isn't any profit to be had in it.

     
  • At 2:12 PM, Blogger Len said…

    If the these quacks were Americans we would put them in prison.

    http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01760.html

     

Post a Comment

<< Home