Chinese Rant
I detest shopping anymore. After furnishing the cabin and going for store to store this time last year, I have decided that shopping is a sport for other people.
Sometimes, though, you need some stuff so you have to break down and go. Yesterday I took the plunge and hit the stores in search of some lightweight winter shirts. First I went to Ross. Lots of cheap shirts, nothing that jumped out at me. The few shirts that I thought about trying on were made in China, so I didn't even bother going to the fitting room, as my boycott of Chinese goods continues whenever feasible.
There was one cotton sweater at Ross that caught my eye, made by United States Sweater Company. I thought, oh, good, til I saw it was Made in China!
I headed to the mall, the Gap had crappy clothes, as did Belk and Dullard's. Lots of goods made in China and that was really apparent by the lack of quality of them. Target was the same. Am I the only one with this dilemma?
Sometimes, though, you need some stuff so you have to break down and go. Yesterday I took the plunge and hit the stores in search of some lightweight winter shirts. First I went to Ross. Lots of cheap shirts, nothing that jumped out at me. The few shirts that I thought about trying on were made in China, so I didn't even bother going to the fitting room, as my boycott of Chinese goods continues whenever feasible.
There was one cotton sweater at Ross that caught my eye, made by United States Sweater Company. I thought, oh, good, til I saw it was Made in China!
I headed to the mall, the Gap had crappy clothes, as did Belk and Dullard's. Lots of goods made in China and that was really apparent by the lack of quality of them. Target was the same. Am I the only one with this dilemma?

1 Comments:
At 8:02 PM,
Len said…
You are not totally screwed but it is close. American factories have been closing for years so that Wal-Mart and Target can sell cheap plastic crap from China. The outlook is bleak, but not hopeless. There are American-made products available. If you want computers or electronics forget it. Clothing should be OK but you have to work for it.
You can try Lands End. Their catalog notes manufacturing location and they do have a factory in Wisconsin. The kids are wearing clothing from American Apperal. The fancy malls and L5P have stores, and you can buy on the web. It looks like Gap clothing but made in LA. There are others on the internet. If you want to look like me (ha!) you can check out the Rivendell line of clothing.
Even SmartWool makes a lot of their stuff in China now. Bleh!
We received a catalog from the Oriental Trading Post the other day. Its a bunch of junk, all wrapped up in one tidy catalog. My thought was, what do nine-year old Chinese slaves think about a Santa rubber duck? Do they think we are insane?
I wasn't interested in the five-pound bag of Chinese chocolate either.
Post a Comment
<< Home