Quiet time

Getting a pedicure is a really relaxing thing, so I decided to go have one after work yesterday at a place recommended by a friend. She said it was clean and the people there were nice and spoke English very well.
I walked in, was greeted and immediately sat down in the luxurious massage chair and let my tootsies soak in the scented whirlpool bath while waiting for the next available nail tech. Nice salon, very open and not stinky, with a flat screen tv on the wall facing the pedicure chairs. I could have stayed there catching up on headline news for quite some time and not even worried about the rest of it.
Very shortly, Tonny comes over and goes to work on my feet. He was friendly and there was a kid walking around the shop, in and out of the back room, drinking Vault energy soda. Soon, the boy comes over and pulls up a seat and goes to talking non stop about school, dune buggies, lawn mowers. Yeah, he has been driving one since he was three, Tonny told me. Tonny is very kind to him and says he and his wife have been trying to have a sister for him, but haven't been successful yet. He asked me if I had any kids and I said no. Usually, that is good enough, but when he asked Why NOT? I figured, oh great, here we go. Don't want to aggrevate a man with sharp metal objects working on my feet!
I tell Tonny sometimes things just don't work, thinking that would get me off the hook. That was not the right plan! Tonny proceeded to give me advice he had gotten from his customers. The first was to start taking Geritol, take it for 30 days. One of his black lady customers (that's what he called her) had told him it had worked for her. I said, huh, well, I already take vitamins. I am playing along at this point, just for the hell of it.
The next thing he suggested was oysters. He said, I not know your husband, but tell him if he can, to hold off for a week, then get some raw oysters and then try that. Mind you, the boy is sitting there taking all this in too and turns his nose up at the oysters. I said, yeah, I like oysters, they are good with some hot sauce on a cracker. He said, OH no, you cannot eat hot sauce or she say it no work.
So, for all you people trying not to get pregnant, keep the hot sauce COMING!!

2 Comments:
At 5:33 PM,
Betsy said…
Some people just don't know when to let it go, do they?
At 3:12 PM,
Megan: Dyer, Spinner and Weaver said…
See, that's when you start to cry.
"Really, Tonny, I just don't work right (sob)! Please don't torture me about this any more, you monster! (sob)"
I used to get that question a lot, but now when I say I've been married 19 years and have no kids, people tend to clam up on the subject.
Post a Comment
<< Home