Pushing Up Daisy

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Fast dogs


People are getting lazier and lazier.
Before a new food is released to the public, manufacturers do market research to see if the product will have an audience.

Hot dogs have to be one of the easiest things to cook. Heck, you can even eat them straight out of the package if you want to. I saw a commerical the other night for a new product from Oscar Meyer, I think they might have called them Fast Dogs. Its an Oscar Meyer weiner in a bun and all you have to do is microwave it.

Now, why is this product necessary? Cooking a hot dog isn't rocket science.

Just when I am thinking Oscar Meyer is completely off base, someone tells me they were expecting company for dinner but then the company called to say they were coming early. So the husband goes to the store to buy some cheese and crackers. They live in a small town but do have a good sized grocery store or two to choose from. Well, he calls the house and says they don't have any cut up, so he buys some Oscar Meyer Lunchables and they serve those to their guests.

I guess cutting up cheese and opening a box of Ritz is too hard too. Must be the same kinda rocket science needed to cook up a hot dog.

My guess is that the target audience for the Fast Dogs is the same one for the Lunchables products.

I wonder what else the fine folks at Kraft can do to make our lives easier.

6 Comments:

  • At 5:45 PM, Blogger Betsy said…

    I also thought that about the Fast Dogs when I saw the ad the other night. It's a hot dog, people!

    How about the frozen crustless PB&J sandwiches? You know, it really is a challenge sometimes to get the proportion of jelly to peanut butter exactly right...

    Love that the husband brought home Lunchables as cheese & crackers to *serve to guests*. That has made my day :-)

     
  • At 7:25 AM, Blogger Ashley said…

    I nearly fell on the floor when the ad for the hot dogs came on TV. If you can't make a hot dog what can you make? What is this world coming to? What happened to June Cleaver in the kitchen making a home cooked (not instant) meal? Not that I'm ever going to pretend to be a June Cleaver type.
    The Lunchables thing is too funny. That takes the cake.

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Blogger Suzy Neal said…

    Ya know, I thought about those frozen PB&J too when I was blogging that yesterday ;-)
    I can't imagine how nasty that thing must taste!

    What about the Kraft Fast Mac & Cheese? Seen that one?

     
  • At 4:19 PM, Blogger Megan: Dyer, Spinner and Weaver said…

    Love the Lunchables idea. I'll have to try it some time. Or not.

    Your post reminds me of my old friend Molly Jean who prefers cakes made from a mix because "Duncan Hines has perfected their recipe for decades."

    Seriously, though, when that product first came out folks probably thought the same way about it. A cake is pretty much just sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour and a little butter or vegetable oil. Practically everybody has those ingredients in their kitchen pantry. Yet, the cake mix is an enduring product! Our convenience foods are just getting more sophisticated is all.

     
  • At 9:35 PM, Blogger Betsy said…

    Most folks can't make a cake to save their lives, so cake mix -- OK, I'll give lazy chefs of America box cake mix. But really, who can't cut the cheese ;-)

     
  • At 8:27 AM, Blogger Suzy Neal said…

    I love cake mixes too but can do without the canned frosting. Pancake mixes are handy to have on hand. And who can make better cornbread then Jiffy?

    I cannot imagine that the crackers that have been refrigerated in those kits remain crispy. What kind of chemical goodness is in there?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home