Common Sense
Maybe its because I'm about to turn 39 again that I have begun to exercise common sense.
My weekend goal was to ride 100 miles. I have a beautiful new bike and some extra weight on myself, what better way to lose the weight and have fun at the same time?
Friday after work, I rode with 2 other people who are strong riders and got 28 miles in with a 19.1 average. My new cycling computer has a cadence feature that helped me to know I was about to blow up, so I switched to bigger gears more often then usual.
When I got home, my butt was so sore that I really didn't know how I was going to make the 7 am ride. I was in bed at 9:30 Friday and the alarm went off at 6 am Saturday. Plenty of time to feed the kids and get to the bike shop.
The fog was pretty heavy as we headed out thru the neighborhoods. We were on an epic ride, down Gillionville, out to Herrod and 55. The KOUNTRY. Not a lot of bail out points.
As we are riding out in the bike lane on Gillionville, somebody has a flat. Rear tire. As he's changing it, I watch cars going by and notice the amout of fog still hanging in the air. We were about to be out of bike lane so I tell the one other girl riding that its not smart to ride on a busy road in dense fog. She agrees and we turn to ride back thru the neighborhood, the testosterone set follow us. One guy breaks his glasses on the way, and then somebody's brakes start rubbing. Other girl rider said its a bad karma day, so she goes home and I head home, ride around downtown and discover the gelatto shop that we had previously banninated for stoopid hours was now open til 10 pm Friday and Saturday.
I wound up with 20 miles Saturday. Common sense miles. Added a slow hot 25 miles Sunday.
Better to be short of my mileage goal then to look like the coyote who has been flattened by the roadrunner driving a steam roller.
My weekend goal was to ride 100 miles. I have a beautiful new bike and some extra weight on myself, what better way to lose the weight and have fun at the same time?
Friday after work, I rode with 2 other people who are strong riders and got 28 miles in with a 19.1 average. My new cycling computer has a cadence feature that helped me to know I was about to blow up, so I switched to bigger gears more often then usual.
When I got home, my butt was so sore that I really didn't know how I was going to make the 7 am ride. I was in bed at 9:30 Friday and the alarm went off at 6 am Saturday. Plenty of time to feed the kids and get to the bike shop.
The fog was pretty heavy as we headed out thru the neighborhoods. We were on an epic ride, down Gillionville, out to Herrod and 55. The KOUNTRY. Not a lot of bail out points.
As we are riding out in the bike lane on Gillionville, somebody has a flat. Rear tire. As he's changing it, I watch cars going by and notice the amout of fog still hanging in the air. We were about to be out of bike lane so I tell the one other girl riding that its not smart to ride on a busy road in dense fog. She agrees and we turn to ride back thru the neighborhood, the testosterone set follow us. One guy breaks his glasses on the way, and then somebody's brakes start rubbing. Other girl rider said its a bad karma day, so she goes home and I head home, ride around downtown and discover the gelatto shop that we had previously banninated for stoopid hours was now open til 10 pm Friday and Saturday.
I wound up with 20 miles Saturday. Common sense miles. Added a slow hot 25 miles Sunday.
Better to be short of my mileage goal then to look like the coyote who has been flattened by the roadrunner driving a steam roller.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home