The Galloway Cult
I have been a little interested as of late for something to trim up some body parts that don't look like they used to, so I have considered adding running to my routine.
Yesterday, Jeff Galloway was in town to speak to the Albany Run/Walk group. He is a world famous Olympian and has written several books on running injury free. The technique is called the Galloway Method (go figure!) and it teaches you how you can run a 5k, 10k or even a marathon efficently thru the use of inserting walk breaks into your run.
There is a big group in Albany that participates in events all across the nation together & seem to be a really friendly & social group. I know the person in charge of the group and met several other veteran runners who told me with my cycling backgroud, I could be ready for a marathon this season! I started talking to another girl who just joined up with them this session and before I knew it, she was telling me to register for the Marine Corp. Marathon in October, that we could do it together.
Being the gung ho individual I am, I thought, gee, that might be something exciting to do... Then I started to really THINK about it... A marathon is something like 26 miles... Why oh why would I want to run that far when I have a perfectly good bicycle and a new one on the way?
Running is a bit cheaper then cycling, but then they started talking about having custom insoles made to support your bunion (someone else in the group had one and asked the question).... Going to the local running shop and being filmed on the treadmill to fit your shoes.... Plus, the money it costs to join the session.
The other problem I see with running is it would take time away from me riding my bike with Clark. The group runs Saturday mornings at 8, well, there's the Saturday ride. Wednesday night at the Westover track. Well, there's body pump.... Guess I am over scheduled already for the group, but can see how I can incorporate a Tuesday/Thursday short run & a long run into the weekend as the training schedule dicates. I just won't have the power of the group.
I decided to save my money and ordered Galloway's Getting Started book from amazon.com today. That small investment can teach me what I need to know to run some on my own when I want.
Besides, with their cult-like presence, not really sure how much I want to hang out with them. They had some food at the function, but there was no grape Kool Aid... Not to say they DON'T have that for you AFTER you sign up and pay your money.
Yesterday, Jeff Galloway was in town to speak to the Albany Run/Walk group. He is a world famous Olympian and has written several books on running injury free. The technique is called the Galloway Method (go figure!) and it teaches you how you can run a 5k, 10k or even a marathon efficently thru the use of inserting walk breaks into your run.
There is a big group in Albany that participates in events all across the nation together & seem to be a really friendly & social group. I know the person in charge of the group and met several other veteran runners who told me with my cycling backgroud, I could be ready for a marathon this season! I started talking to another girl who just joined up with them this session and before I knew it, she was telling me to register for the Marine Corp. Marathon in October, that we could do it together.
Being the gung ho individual I am, I thought, gee, that might be something exciting to do... Then I started to really THINK about it... A marathon is something like 26 miles... Why oh why would I want to run that far when I have a perfectly good bicycle and a new one on the way?
Running is a bit cheaper then cycling, but then they started talking about having custom insoles made to support your bunion (someone else in the group had one and asked the question).... Going to the local running shop and being filmed on the treadmill to fit your shoes.... Plus, the money it costs to join the session.
The other problem I see with running is it would take time away from me riding my bike with Clark. The group runs Saturday mornings at 8, well, there's the Saturday ride. Wednesday night at the Westover track. Well, there's body pump.... Guess I am over scheduled already for the group, but can see how I can incorporate a Tuesday/Thursday short run & a long run into the weekend as the training schedule dicates. I just won't have the power of the group.
I decided to save my money and ordered Galloway's Getting Started book from amazon.com today. That small investment can teach me what I need to know to run some on my own when I want.
Besides, with their cult-like presence, not really sure how much I want to hang out with them. They had some food at the function, but there was no grape Kool Aid... Not to say they DON'T have that for you AFTER you sign up and pay your money.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home