Pushing Up Daisy

Friday, April 21, 2006

Funky yet expensive

I have had some feet problems here recently. Duct tape cured my plantars warts, but I was unable to give Vick's Vapo Rub a long time to cure my toe nail fungus.

It is only on one big toe nail, but the longer I have it, the worse it looks and it had started to hurt whenever there was any pressure on it.

So off I go to see the podiatrist. Well, he takes a very techincal sample of my toe nail -- he cuts it and puts it in a piece of gauze, then hands it to the nurse out in the hallway... They send off this sample and in 2 weeks, call me back to send me to get blood drawn to make sure my liver function is normal.

That comes back ok, so they call my prescription in. I am fortunate to have health insurance with a prescription benefit. Paid $ 60 for a 30 day supply. Had I not had insurance, the prescription would have cost me $ 384 -- this for a 30 day supply. I will take the meds for 3 months.

$12.80 per pill. That is some crazy ridiculus price. I can see if it cured some big serious condition or if it was gold coated. They don't even put the slick coating on Lamisil like on Advil.

The doctor's office filed my toe nail visit as "surgery". Cutting toe nails is now surgery. So I ask them about it and they tell me it has to be filed this way. This means that it goes into my deductible for the year, instead of being treated as an office visit, which means I get to pay the whole fee to them. Nice eh?

This morning I wake up with some rash behind my arm pits. Wonder if this is from the expensive medicine? I put on some Cortaid, let's see what happens.

Clark said it might be better to just slam my toe in the car door, let the nail fall off and see if the fungus is gone.

Think I would just as soon wrap my toe in duct tape.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home